In the spring of 2014, the Senate Liberals began our Open Caucus initiative. The goal of these meetings is to foster nonpartisan discussion on issues facing our country. We invite all parliamentarians as well as the public to take part in the discussion with a panel of experts on any given topic, and focus informing ourselves and others on matters that are important to Canadians.
Open Caucus Themes
- 16 November 2016Read more
In the spring of 2014, the Senate Liberals opened our Caucus doors to Canadians. Through our Open Caucus initiative we are learning, discussing and debating issues of national importance. This effort is hosted by the Senate Liberal Caucus but is intended to be non-partisan. All parliamentarians will be invited, as well as members of the press and the general public.
On November 16th, we invited you to join us in a discussion on the renewal of the Health Accord. The last health accord was negotiated in 2004 and expired in 2014. We are currently in the final year to honour the longstanding funding portion of the agreement. Health care makes up the largest single expenditure of each provincial budget; for 2004, in Ontario alone, the budget allocation towards health care was 39.8% at $29.2 billion and in 2014 it rose to 42.1% at $51.8 billion. There are many areas which are of particular concern such as: the federal transfer of funds, our aging demographic, pharmacare, homecare, access to mental health services, wait times, and Indigenous health.
To address this important topic we invited a panel of witnesses to discuss what should be taken into account in the renewed Health Accord.
- Cindy Forbes: Past President, Canadian Medical Association
- Chris Simpson: Medical Director, Cardiac Program, Division Chair at Queens University
- Dale Clement: Chief Executive Officer for the Wellington-Waterloo Community Care Access Centre
- Earl Nowgesic: Interim Director of Waakebiness-Bryce Institute for Indigenous Health
- Danielle Martin: Vice President of Medical Affairs and Health System Solutions at the Women’s College Hospital
This meeting took place:
Wednesday November 16th, 2015
9:15 am – 11:15 am
Room 160S, Centre Block