Senator Downe was appointed to the Senate of Canada by the Right Honourable Jean Chrétien. He has served in the Senate representing Charlottetown in the province of Prince Edward Island since June 26, 2003.
Senator Downe is currently Vice-Chair of the Standing Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs and International Trade, a member of the Standing Senate Committee on Internal Economy, Budgets and Administration, and is also on the Executive Committee of the Canada-Europe Parliamentary Association.
Since graduating from the University of Prince Edward Island in 1977, Senator Downe has had the opportunity to serve at the provincial and the federal level, more specifically as:
• Chief of Staff to the Prime Minister of Canada
• Director of Appointments, Office of the Prime Minister
• Executive Assistant to the Minister of Labour
• Executive Assistant to the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans
• Executive Assistant to the Secretary of State, Veterans Affairs and ACOA
• Executive Assistant to the Premier of Prince Edward Island
Senator Downe lives in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island with his spouse and their two children.
Proactive Disclosure – PDF documents
July 1 — September 30, 2014 – Click Here
April 1 — June 30, 2014 – Click Here
January 1 — March 31, 2014 – Click Here
October 1 — December 31, 2013* – Click Here
September 16 — September 30, 2013* – Click here
* As disclosed on the Liberal Party of Canada website